We all experience it to some extent, but do you know how to beat Shiny Object Syndrome? If you work in an environment that is “open culture” it may seem a little harder to work in a more focused state. Technology has given us convenience but it has also created chaos in our workday. Could it be that an email is a shiny object for you?
How to Beat Shiny Object Syndrome
Let’s break it down into 5 steps for control:
- Set up a dummy email to use every time you sign up for something. You can also give it to someone you are not interested in creating a relationship with but needs your email address
- Prioritize who gets through to you immediately as opposed to what is happening now by using filters and labels
- Snooze it! This will give you time to get through the high priority items and will re-introduce those “important” emails in your chosen timeframe
- Give yourself grace to “unsubscribe” to the noise in your inbox
- Use calendar time blocking and schedule your email attention
It sounds easy, doesn’t it? If it is beyond your scope right now because you are scaling your business, bringing on new employees, negotiating a takeover of your competitor, any reason that is so much more important than addressing the inbox, look to a Virtual Assistant to get that piece of your world under control and you’ll really know “how to beat Shiny Object Syndrome“.
We can clean up, organize, and eliminate all the noise that does not “need you” right now. Virtual Task Pro is available to be the email gatekeeper you need to get back on track. For instance, if an additional 2.5 hours each week (minimum) sounds like something that would offer some breathing room for you, give us a call and we’ll start virtually changing your life – immediately!